Introduction to Pitch Systems in Tonal Music (English)
This series is one part of UC Irvine's Musicianship 15 ABC sequence for music majors. An understanding of music notation and basic musical terms is helpful but not required for these presentations. The math involved is basic.
Pitch systems use mathematics to organize audible phenomenon for creative expression. The cognitive processes we develop through exposure to music comprise a kind of applied mathematics; our emotional responses to musical nuance grow out of a largely unconscious mastery of the patterns and structures in music. This series of presentations covers the basic mathematics and cognitive phenomenon found in the tonal system used in Western music and much of the music of the world. Over the course of several presentations we will explore basic concepts of pitch and frequency, the organizing rules of tonal systems, and the mathematical construction of basic scales and chords. The reasoning and purpose of equal temperament, the standard tuning system for tonal music, will be explored in this context. Presentations will include graphics and computer applications designed specifically to illustrate these concepts.
Music Dept. | Arts Sch. | University of California, Irvine
Keywords: Pitch Systems,Tonal harmony,octaves,Hertz,Triads,Pythagorean set,diatonic scale,twelve-tone,tuning,major triads,minor triads,Circular Pitch Systems,pure triads,dominant triads,subdominant triads
- John Crooks
Introduction to Pitch Systems in Tonal Music by John Crooks, MFA is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
- Introduction to Pitch Systems in Tonal Music Part 03: Octave equivalence, circular pitch systems, and the major triad (English)
- Introduction to Pitch Systems in Tonal Music Part 04: Circular Pitch Systems and the Triad (English)
- Introduction to Pitch Systems in Tonal Music Part 05: Building a Diatonic Set with 3:2 Ratios (English)
- Introduction to Pitch Systems in Tonal Music Part 06: Pythagorean Tuning and the Pure Triad (English)
- Introduction to Pitch Systems in Tonal Music Part 07: The Minor Triad and a Circular System of Thirds (English)
- Introduction to Pitch Systems in Tonal Music Part 08: Tuning with Pure Major and Minor Triads (English)